Indicated for gastric congestion, nausea, vomiting, gas, loss of appetite, diarrhea,
Cooling Remedies Such as Bitters
Examples of digestive bitters
Bitters work by:
Bitters are used for:
Laxatives and bowel tonics
Poor digestion due to congested or overworked liver
Symptoms; soreness in the liver area, painful digestion, gas pains, constipation, feeling of fullness in stomach and intestines, loss of appetite; pms; depression; aversion to oily foods
Poor Fat Digestion
Symptoms feeling nausea or soreness in gut after fatty meals, burping with an oily taste in the mouth or throat; aversion to fatty foods
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Symptoms; burning or uncomfortable feelings in bowels; alternating diarrhea and constipation; frequent gas and rumbling sounds in the intestines. Symptoms usually worse with stress or when tired.
Symptoms; a bloated feeling accompanied by various pains in the abdomen or side; frequent passing of gas.
Symptoms: acne, psoriasis. Bowel movement may have a strong, unpleasant odor.
Weight Problems: Over & Under
Symptoms: sluggish metabolism, work on thyroid gland. Increase metabolism. energy.
RE-CREATING SELF; ALLOWING THE TRUE SELF TO EMERGE
In this part of the healing process, we seek ways to re-imagine our way of seeing the self. This is a long complex process, due to social, family and individual patterns of seeing self. Our process here is to go into the Limbic brain, our primal reptilian thought process that very early in our development created the patterns that helped us survive. But often as we grow/evolve those processes no longer are needed for survival and can, in fact, become detrimental if patterns are not changed Many of the suggestions employed here for ‘re patterning thought processes’ are childlike, playful and involve our inner child.
STEP ONE: Mask making ~ using plaster of Paris masks that form and shape to the exact contours of the face, make a mask symbolizing the pathology ~ the image of the "self" you are trying to change. Be explicit in your decoration. Be imaginative. Let your inner child decorate the mask representing everything about you that you no longer wish to be a part of you. When it has been created to represent your anorexia/bulimia self, create a ceremonial fire and burn this mask.
Next, create a mask using the same medium of plaster of Paris to create a mask representing the person you are becoming or wish to reflect inside of you. This mask should represent your wholeness.
STEP TWO: Collage or Treasure Maps ~ Using large poster boards, make a collage of figures of woman who you admire and look up to. Women who you would like to emulate. The one rule here is that there are to be NO thin bodies. This collage must be made up entirely of short, tall, dark, old, young, light, women of color, wisdom, etc., etc., but no think bodies. Quotes from these women can be included in the collage and/or quotes from other women you admire. When this collage is finished to your satisfaction and is a rich tapestry of the faces and round, perhaps shapeless, bodies of women who you feel embrace what soul is all about, hang this visual message where you can see it everyday.
Upon arising, look at this collage. Affirm the beauty of these women in yourself every day. This is a wonderful exercise to help restructure our visuals of women, to liberate women and get them out of the bikinis and corsets that hold women in bondage.
STEP THREE: DREAM WORK ~ it is essential, far better than any kind of therapy I know of, to get in touch with your dream world. I prefer the techniques of Jungian Gestalt dream work and would caution against the "interpretation" types of dream therapy that abound. Jungian Gestalt dream work is a direct link to understanding the archetypical figures and putting us in touch with them. These often prove the most valuable guides, giving us direct access to our inner world. It’s often in this non three dimensional world that we begin to understand the deep nature of our pathology.
Until we become in touch with the underlying nature of the pathology that controls, there is generally not lasting change. The pathology will find other ways to resurface. It is like the analogy using the smoke detector. When the alarm goes off, one should shut it off, but then one needs to find what set it off. If this is not taken care of, it will go off again and again.
STEP FOUR: REPROGRAMMING THE LIMBIC BRAIN ~ every hour on the hour, visually go into your limbic brain and reprogram the way you think. Have key words such as: * I am whole. * I am enough. * I am filled with the radiant energy of Great Spirit. * I deserve nourishment. * I do not have to produce to be loved. * I do not have to be thin to be loved.
What you want to do is to find the key words for you and use these words to reprogram self. This was done at an early age, only unconsciously. Programming such as "I have to produce to be loved"; "Women must be thin and beautiful to be loved"; "People like me best when I am sweet nice and good", etc., etc., Each person is programmed differently, of course, according to their family and social setting. Reprogram the early messages; they are often not appropriate any longer; in fact, are the programming that often sets bulimia and anorexia off in the first stages.
STEP FIVE: SOULFUL READING ~ read books that nourish and support the soul. There are probably some good books out about anorexia/bulimia, but I have not read any. Books I would put on my "soulful reading list" include: Care of the Soul, by Thomas Moore; Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan, and Celestine Prophecies by James Redfield.
What books would you add to these lists? Books that make you feel glad to be alive, give reason and value to your life?
STEP SIX: PARTICIPATE IN A NATURAL COOKING CLASS ~ Take a healthy cooking class. Learn to cook for health. In your case, Linda, this is not an issue, since you already know how to cook healthily. However, odd as it may seem, I think it might be helpful to participate in other people's cooking classes. Perhaps study with Ann Marie Colbin for a week end. I suggest this not so much that you will learn new cooking techniques, but that it may be helpful in introducing new attitudes about eating and food. Perhaps, take your positive attitudes to a deeper level.
STEP SEVEN: THE FOOD YOU EAT IS HOLY ~ Create your mealtimes as a spiritual ritual, a sacred affair. Even if you suspect you are going to vomit the food, still, even then, bless it. EAT VERY SLOWLY. Honor the food as a gift from the Creator. You must get in the habit of transforming food so that is no longer the enemy, but a gift that feeds your spirit. And, you must reprogram your body so that it feels it deserves to receive earth nourishment... Reprogram your brain as you eat ~ this food is sacred and is connecting me to Divine Spirit, to my earth path, to my essence. Without this body, my soul could not exist, nor dance, nor walk, nor breathe.
Eat with other people. This will be hard for you, but another technique for reprogramming your consciousness about food. Try to co-ordinate your meal times with your husbands. This would be very important, especially since he is aware and concerned about your eating disorder. Eat with friends.
STEP EIGHT; ESTABLISH HEALTHY EATING HABITS/PATTERNS ~ This is very difficult to do, because everything in you is going to try to sabotage this effort! Be prepared! You will not be hungry. You will want to vomit after meals. The food will make you feel heavy, tired. You won't like the feeling of food in your stomach. Why? Because for the last 15 or so more years, your psyche has identified food and nourishment as "the enemy". Also, on a purely physical level, your system has learned "not" to eat and/or to vomit what you put in it. That is the habit that your body is now in. It will require concentration, trust, and will power to change the patterns. The above suggestions are made primarily to change the deep scarring, the wounds, that happened, that stimulated and created the eating disorders in the first place. This change is necessary for any lasting change to occur. But without day to day discipline, a re patterning of your habits, no program will work.
You need to be prepared for "failure"; times when you don't have the desire to change and slip back into the old patterns of not eating/eating too much. With most addictions, it is a two step dance ~ one small step forward, two backwards. Motion does happen. However, Linda, if you can remember to eat slowly, to eat with people (create your meals as a joyful event), and to think of the food as spiritual nourishment, it will help you with the re patterning/reprogramming part of this health program.
* Start mornings with protein meal ~ a variety of protein such as tempeh, tofu, seitan, (fish/chicken) should be cooked together and served with a vegetable. No sweets in morning.
No fruit juice, little or no coffee/black tea/stimulants. Nervine teas such as TM’s “Easy Now Nervine’ will calm and distress. Your main meal should be breakfast. If your mornings are busy and leave no time for cooking, cook this meal in the evening and reheat in the morning.
You will not want to eat this big meal in the morning. You will feel heavy and tired. But only for four to six weeks. Then your body will start utilizing the nutrients you are providing it. You will gain weight; not much. Steady good weight that will give you energy and allow your radiance to shine out.
*Mid morning ~ protein shake. Use Spirultine and add extra spirilina to it. Yogurt is great in this shake. This protein shake should taste delicious. Can add fruit and fruit juice if your system tolerates protein and sweets. Most people have a difficult time with this combination.
* Lightest meal in the evening. Your evening meal should be light and nourishing and soul satisfying. Try a green salad and/or steamed vegies, soup, and bread.
HERBAL TONIC FORMULAS FOR ANOREXIA/BULIMIA
Drink 6 - 8 cups of tea a day.
* Take Ginseng capsules 2 capsules 3 X daily
* Shitake/Reishi Mushroom Extract: follow dosage on bottle
* Gingko Gold: follow recommended dosage
* Gota Kola tincture: 1 teaspoon 3 X daily
* Drink 4 - 6 cups of either or both of the above teas a day.
* Hawthorne Berry Syrup, capsules, and/or tincture: follow recommended dosage on bottle
* For constipation can take Renee's Liver pills. These are excellent for liver and also aide in bowel movement.
Would be good for you to eat fish and chicken.
Eat your large meal in the morning. (Your high protein fuel food. No sweets. i.e no fruit juices in the morning).
Have a mid morning protein shake. Have a light meal in the evening. Soup, salad, light portion of protein.
Always eat around other people ~ this will be very hard for you. But try it. Make your meal times a spiritual time. Quiet music. candles. prayer for the food. Honoring for all life that gave away that we might live this day, knowing we too must give away one day to complete the cycle.
WRITE A PERSONAL HISTORY ~ Fill our personal health form then elaborate on it by writing a detailed history including any information that might have influenced eating disorders. After this detailed history is complete, go over it again, this time just highlighting those events that seem to stand out. For example, in _____ (patient this was designed for):
* Felt over weight as a teenager, but wasn't ever really. Gained a lot of weight in collage, her friends were all "perfectly trim".
* Goes through a period during college, when she eats 3 meals a day, exercises, takes great care of herself, and feels "the best she's ever felt".
* Husband comes home from service and wants all of her attention. She starts giving to him; stops exercise program, stops doing the special things for self.
* Buy house, over working, working a couple of jobs, fixing house, no time for anything.
* She is trying to do it all ~ to prove she can do it all.
* Stopped eating. Went down to 82 lbs. Stomach shrank so much, wasn't hungry. Just drank chocolate milk three times a day.
* Parents and husband sent her to a psychiatrist and nutrition list. Helped her developed better eating habits.
* Moved. Less stress. Started eating a little better (not a whole lot) and began to gain weight. Got up to 100 lbs.
* Favorite aunt died. She and husband also bought a large old farmhouse heavily in need of repair. Again, had to over work. Lots of stress. Not enough money.
* She closes up after Aunt dies. Starts eating everything. Goes from 110 lbs to 122 lbs.
* Feels fat and ugly. Shuts husband out because she feels so bad.
* He gets lonely and has an affair. Moves out of house and lives with the other woman for a whole year.
* She starts drinking heavily. Would often be drunk by noon. Wasn't eating again.
* Husband was still trying to be supportive of her. No sexual relationship, but they continued to be friends.
* He moved back. She started feeling good about herself again. Ate healthy good food. Not over stressed at work. Things were going great.
* Then husband decides to go back to college. She again is working all the time. trying to do everything. Working day and night jobs. Weight drops to 90lbs.
* Trying to be super woman. Finally Joe gets out of college and things lighten a little. but she can't shake the super woman syndrome.
* Two years ago, she was working the herb gardens and waitressing at night. She was so stressed trying to do both. Bulimia started.
* Found out her father had a brain tumor. she was waitressing, attending to her father, working the herbs, bulimia got very intense.
* The day after he died, she started eating everything. the bulimia syndrome.
Comments: This program was successful for this women. I’ve followed her progression over the course of eight years. She’s been stable in her eating patterns, is enrolled at a naturopathic college where she will graduate with an N.D. degree in another year
Keys in this program;
* Reprogram Limbic brain through inner child work, dream work, and play.
* Do not over work. Over work and stress signal chemicals in the body that send out alarms and alerts in the system to over eat/not eat. Do not over do. Super woman always dies, just like everyone else, only far more worn out and feeling used!
* Create healthy eating habits. Eat with other people. Eat slowly. Eat large protein meal in the morning. Eat a light evening meal. Do not eat late in the evening.
"Let the beauty you love be what you do.
There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."